Search: Posts made by: 5Z
Forum: Soaring September 8th 20, 06:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Smoke at Ephrata, WA

Southern California deserts are also socked in with smoke. Inyokern visibility right now is less than 2 miles. http://potomacaviation.com/netlink-v2/html5.asp?airportid=KIYK

5Z
Forum: Soaring August 31st 20, 08:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
SSA Sailplane Tracker

On Sunday, August 30, 2020 at 6:35:51 AM UTC-7, Bill Tisdale wrote:
I cannot get glideportaero to load this morning 8/30/2020. Both Link
from SSA Sailplane Tracker or directly to the...
Forum: Soaring July 23rd 20, 05:45 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
27 crash at Ely?

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 9:09:19 PM UTC-7, Eric Greenwell wrote:
6PK wrote on 7/22/2020 3:29 PM:
"Hammering the rudder" is absurd and is asking for an inadvertent
spin which BTW I'm...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 07:36 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Imagery: Large Animation

On Friday, June 12, 2020 at 8:49:39 AM UTC-7, Nick Kennedy wrote:
Hey 5Z
Do you have In cockpit Satellite images now ?
Is there any reasonably affordable options out there today for Great Basin...
Forum: Soaring June 29th 20, 07:25 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Amazon video "Wind"

On Sunday, June 28, 2020 at 11:22:46 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I was entertained watching this video titled "Wind" on Amazon Prime. It
has a small bit of aviation in it. Was this...
Forum: Soaring June 28th 20, 05:47 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Flying IFR in a glider

Gordon Boettger has made several long cross country flights in class A
airspace. Here's one:
https://www.onlinecontest.org/olc-3.0/gliding/flightinfo.html?dsId=5835349

Also a number of wave XC...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 20, 09:16 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Imagery: Large Animation

https://spacenews.com/spacex-plans-to-start-offering-starlink-broadband-services-in-2020/

On Thursday, June 4, 2020 at 1:14:11 PM UTC-7, 5Z wrote:
On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 11:41:59 PM UTC-7,...
Forum: Soaring June 4th 20, 09:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Real-Time U.S. Composite Satellite Imagery: Large Animation

On Tuesday, June 2, 2020 at 11:41:59 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Some users have bought satellite wifi units but they're prohibitively expensive unfortunately.

Maybe a Starlink base...
Forum: Soaring May 31st 20, 05:29 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Landout at Class C or D tower-controlled airport?

Back in the late 1970's, on Memorial Day weekend, a friend flew his Janus (with me in back) from Estrella, AZ to Gillespie Field outside San Diego. Last thermal was around Mt Laguna or so and I had...
Forum: Soaring May 19th 20, 04:25 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
task not completed ClearNavII

On Sunday, May 17, 2020 at 8:30:04 AM UTC-7, Tim Newport-Peace wrote:
When recording at 1 second intervals, with a 1 second resolution, this can
happen. When it does. download again at (say) 4...
Forum: Soaring May 16th 20, 05:05 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Glider release failure?

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 12:35:18 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
... We turned away from the tug, but after a few seconds I thought I heard a loud
bang accompanied by a slight, transient vibration,...
Forum: Soaring May 11th 20, 06:58 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Boy Who Flew With Condors - Dick Johnson? Other Comments

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 12:34:22 PM UTC-7, Mike Finegan wrote:
That was SO cool! I remember as a kid seeing another Disney show about
gliding- probably made later (I think Blaniks...
Forum: Soaring April 23rd 20, 05:26 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Time for Separate 18m Records?

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 5:46:47 PM UTC-7, Roy B. wrote:

The difference arises when you are far from home and faced with a decision that might put you on the
ground. The fellow with the...
Forum: Soaring April 21st 20, 05:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
How About Story Time

On Saturday, April 18, 2020 at 3:53:17 PM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
I arrived one day at Fremont County Airport in Canon City, CO to find
Tom prepping his ASW-20 for, I believe, a World 100 km...
Forum: Soaring April 19th 20, 04:55 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Crazy Idea # 54-1A i.e. Erase all State Soaring Records every 10 years..

As Daniel says, flying a declared flight is a worthwhile goal and should be rewarded with some recognition.

With computers and the internet, processing a large volume of flights really isn't an...
Forum: Soaring April 17th 20, 04:47 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
GoPro Camera Deal (I don't work there - this isn't spam)

So here's an idea that I've had for a while...

Take something like the GoPro and split it into 2 devices. A tiny camera module that can be clipped to your glasses or elsewhere and the rest in a box...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 20, 05:12 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Video on contest safety

Speaking of legislating safety, I watched this excellent and gut wrenching documentary about Formula 1 on Amazon Prime last night.

"Set in the golden era of Grand Prix Racing '1' tells the story of...
Forum: Soaring April 16th 20, 03:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
How About Story Time

Dan, I do remember your comments after we had done a bit of grazing on the SW face of Pike Peak. That was a fun flight.

Back in September 1994, Dan volunteered to fly a Pawnee, and I a L-23 from...
Forum: Soaring April 7th 20, 06:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

On Sunday, April 5, 2020 at 10:09:39 AM UTC-7, wrote:

They need to go back to the moon and do it again but this time no string on the hammer;)

Mythbusters repeated it in a...
Forum: Soaring April 4th 20, 05:26 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Concealed Carry In MY ASW27

On Saturday, April 4, 2020 at 7:25:03 AM UTC-7, wrote:
Oh one last thought, let me remind you, your great white northern savior Abraham Lincoln........
was a Republican!!! ...
Forum: Soaring April 2nd 20, 12:10 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Damn you, COVID-19!!!

On Tuesday, March 31, 2020 at 2:00:54 PM UTC-7, Duster wrote:
You've read about this anti-malarial/lupus drug, hydroxychloroquine, plus antibiotic
(azithromycin) combination as a potential...
Forum: Soaring March 29th 20, 04:09 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Interesting article about the 1918 flu pandemic.
"...The studies reached another important conclusion: That relaxing intervention measures too early could cause an otherwise stabilized city to...
Forum: Soaring March 28th 20, 05:11 PM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Soaring already DOA for the season???

How to tell if we're beating Covid-19.

Great explanation of how to understand the numbers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54XLXg4fYsc

5Z
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 20, 04:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
iGlide functionality

On Sunday, March 22, 2020 at 3:03:53 PM UTC-7, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
iSoar does not work on Catalina.

Thanks for the update guys. I haven't upgraded yet mainly since my trusty ScanSnap...
Forum: Soaring March 23rd 20, 04:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Posted By 5Z
Soaring already DOA for the season???

Another thing to keep in mind is that all medical personnel will be busy dealing with sick people, so any accidents we may have while having fun will be adding unnecessary stress on the system. So...