Search: Posts made by: Terence Wilson
Forum: Piloting July 20th 08, 03:55 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Terence Wilson
Constant speed prop question

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 08:31:45 -0500, "Steven P. McNicoll"
wrote:

Terence Wilson wrote:

In the course of trying to understand how a constant speed prop works
I came...
Forum: Piloting July 20th 08, 02:24 PM Posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Posted By Terence Wilson
Constant speed prop question

In the course of trying to understand how a constant speed prop works
I came across the following passage in one of the Jeppesen books:

"If the throttle is advanced without decreasing the pitch of...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules May 30th 08, 05:39 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Iis there a weather chart with cloud base and tops depicted?

Here in the San Francisco Bay Area we've had coastal clouds in the
mornings with ceilings in the 1000-2000 range recently, 10-20 miles
west of Oakland the clouds dissipate completely. I was...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules April 8th 08, 07:06 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Instrument checkride passed

Everyone,

I haven't posted much here, but when I have, the responses have always
been educational. Hopefully my checkride account might prove useful to
someone else. Thanks for all the...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules April 1st 08, 06:56 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

On Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:14:41 +0000 (UTC),
(Dane Spearing) wrote:

"Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over"

ROFLMOL. I'll be chuckling about that one for days.

Thanks. I'll use...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 30th 08, 02:11 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Confusing instructions from ATC.. looking for a concise response

When a transmission is garbled I'm used to saying "say again", but I
was wondering what to say when a transmission comes through in the
clear, but doesn't make much sense (to me). This probably...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules March 13th 08, 10:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Ack!! video A320 xwind in Germany

On Mon, 3 Mar 2008 20:42:21 +0000 (UTC), Bertie the Bunyip
wrote:

Wasn't so much the crosswind as the technique used to deal with it.

Perhaps so - but it's been alleged there...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 19th 08, 12:54 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
VOR approach- when to descend from the FAF

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:24:39 -0800, Sam Spade
wrote:

Forgive me my lousy memory. I figured your CFI-I would have covered
this by now.

I'm sure he did, but I'm empty-headed...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 18th 08, 05:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008 07:46:16 -0800, Sam Spade
wrote:

Here is the official answer from my Garmin associate. He is about at
the top of the engineering food chain...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 17th 08, 07:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
VOR approach- when to descend from the FAF

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:01:14 -0800, Sam Spade
wrote:

Terence Wilson wrote:
When flying a VOR approach in which the FAF is defined by the VOR, is
it appropriate to start the...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 17th 08, 02:56 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
VOR approach- when to descend from the FAF

When flying a VOR approach in which the FAF is defined by the VOR, is
it appropriate to start the descent to the MAP, or next stepdown,
immediately after overflying the VOR or should I wait until I...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 16th 08, 10:52 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 14:17:02 -0800, Sam Spade
wrote:

I agree that the manual says to activate a previously loaded approach.
But, it is overkill and unnecessary.

En route to...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 16th 08, 07:23 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:46:19 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Terence,

Well suppose I am enroute and approaching the SGD VOR. At this point I
am getting close to...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 16th 08, 06:14 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 18:49:42 +0100, Thomas Borchert
wrote:

Terence,

It sounds like the only
purpose of activation is to set the IAF as the active...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 16th 08, 06:10 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 10:47:11 -0600, Mitty wrote:

On 2/16/2008 10:27 AM, SimGuy wrote the following:

The point is this- loading the approach makes the IAF the active
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 16th 08, 04:29 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 06:38:42 -0800, Sam Spade
wrote:

Terence Wilson wrote:
One annoyance of the 430 is that activating an approach will
immediately set a course for the...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules February 16th 08, 04:41 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Garmin 430 rquestion- does the approach always have to be activated via "activate approach"?

One annoyance of the 430 is that activating an approach will
immediately set a course for the selected IAF (assuming RV not
selected). What I would like to do is append the approach to my
current...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules January 27th 08, 04:40 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Missed Approach Procedures & finding the MAP

My understanding is that the missed approach procedure cannot start
until the MAP is reached. Now here's my stupid question- what if I
royally screw up the approach early on i.e. get full scale...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 27th 07, 05:36 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Seeking advice- checkride tips

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 20:55:32 -0800, "Hilton"
wrote:

Terence,

This is a general comment and not aimed specifically at you, but... It
amazes me, in terms of human...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 27th 07, 12:52 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Seeking advice- checkride tips

On Wed, 26 Dec 2007 16:12:58 -0800, "Bob Gardner"
wrote:

Ex-examiner here.....

Talk. Let the examiner know what your thought processes are. If you catch
things going awry,...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules December 26th 07, 08:44 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Seeking advice- checkride tips

I'm scheduled for the instrument check-ride in a couple of weeks. I
feel like I can perform within the PTS, but I'm a little" rough around
the edges" and prone to at least one stupid screw-up per...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules November 2nd 07, 02:35 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Help interpreting an approach chart (KCCR LDA Rwy 19R)

http://www.airnav.com/depart?http://204.108.4.16/d-tpp/0711/05320LDA19R.PDF

Suppose I am approaching the KANAN NDB IAF from the south, maintaining
2500', which nav aid do I use to track 001 deg...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 22nd 07, 02:17 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Pressure & temperature

On Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:06:30 -0400, "An Aviator"
wrote:

Current temperature is not used to convert
pressure to altimeter settings.

Can you please elucidate? Isn't current...
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 21st 07, 01:57 AM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Pressure & temperature

I'm confused about what determines the local altimeter setting. My
understanding is that there is a barometer in the tower that measures
the weight of a column air extending up into the atmosphere....
Forum: Instrument Flight Rules October 12th 07, 10:46 PM Posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Posted By Terence Wilson
Hold direct entry and speed in Skyhawk

On Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:04:42 -0700, Mark Hansen
wrote:

You can execute the maneuver at any speed (within legal speed limits,
of course). However, the faster you go, the...