Old May 26th 20, 12:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce C

Default Private airport or small field for landout?

On Monday, May 25, 2020 at 5:35:28 PM UTC-4, Charles Ethridge wrote:
Hi all.

I'm a former cfi-i/mei and commercial glider pilot, but I've never gone cross-country in my PW-5 glider. Training up for it though. A question:

If you are in an area where the fields are small, but there are several private airfields around, which should be your priority?

Seems to me that the private airport would be safer, assuming you have enough altitude to overfly it. Also I notice that my (new) Oudie2 shows all the private airstrips around as potential landout spots.

Will you get in trouble (legal or financial) if you have to landout at a private airport (assuming you aren't declaring an emergency, of course)?

Ben

Ben

I am a former Miami boy as well. You may wish to check with a couple operations that are within a reasonable driving distance, assuming you have a trailer. Chilhowee in Benton TN is not too far from Atlanta. Sarah and Jason Arnold run the place and have a PW-5 that is available for rent.They are extremely knowledgeable. Bermuda High in South Carolina comes to mind check with Franklin Burbank, again very knowledgeable and helpful. Carolina Soaring Association in Spartanburg is a club with a strong cross country focus.

A long weekend spent at one of these operations may be what you need to kick off your first cross country efforts.

Bruce