Old September 7th 03, 03:18 PM
Mike Potter

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

How good was shipborne radar in the 60s against a 2003 airforce? For example, could a 1964 ship detect an incoming modern strike
before the explosions began in the face of modern ACM.

I ask both because I'm curious about the past and because there are navies out
there using old-fashioned technology.

RN warships used 1960s air-search radar in the Falklands in 1982,
specifically RN radar Type 965. From descriptions in David Brown's book
The Royal Navy and the Falklands War, it appears that this radar could
not detect aircraft over land, or at least not above 30,000 feet. The
newer Type 1022 radar succeeded at that.