Old December 23rd 20, 07:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Default Transponder installation article- Soaring Magazine

On 12/21/20 5:19 PM, John Johnson wrote:
Should I assume it is not legal in the US to use a TT21 with a TN72 for ADS-B out in an experimental glider? That combination is ok in Europe (I think) with the difference being the US wants 2x the xmit power for ADS-B (TT22 at 250W) vs the 125W output of the TT21. I would like to think that having otherwise compliant, lower power ADS-B out is better (and not illegal) than no ADS-B out in an aircraft that is legal without ADS-B.
Probably not a realistic hope - but it would save me the not trivial expense of upgrading my TT21 to a TT22.

JJ

I don't see why you couldn't use the TT21, but the price difference
between the TT22 and the TT21 is only $157. Why wouldn't you go for the
higher power and legality above 15,000'?

Rather than upgrade, why not sell the 21 and buy a 22?

--
Dan
5J