Old January 28th 04, 03:42 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
"John Carrier" writes:

"Jeb Hoge" wrote in message
om...
"Susan VanCamp" wrote in message

link.net...
Its been many moons since I fired a rocket (most inventories got combat
coded due to limited #s years ago), but...

...it was a Zuni pod at night, on the goggles -- ya-bleeping-hoo! When
fired in singles or small numbers, 2.75s always sounded like bottle

rockets
(from the cockpit). Zunis were an entirely different animal.

A technical question for those that might know -- refresh my aging

memory --
isn't the Zuni motor the same as that used on the Sidewinder...?

Originally, I'm pretty sure Sidewinder was designed using Zuni bodies and

motors.

Nope. The Zuni burn time was very short, perhaps 1 second. SW was at least
5. I've fired both from fuselage pylons on the F-8. The Zuni approximated
a freight train speeding past your head with about 6 inches clearance.

IIRC, the Mk 17 motor on an early Sidewinder burned for about 2-2 1/4
seconds. The Mk 36 in the AIM-9C and its derivatives burned for
something between 4 & 5 seconds. The Mk 36 has more impule (Total
energy), but lower thrust.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster