Old March 1st 04, 12:25 AM
Thomas Schoene

Henry J Cobb wrote:
John S. Shinal wrote:
In a recent thread on F-35 variants, I noticed that the Marine
Corps version doesn't appear to be CTOL for carrier ops, rather
STOVL.

Will Marine squadrons eventually operate in the STOVL regime
from big decks, or what ?

Will JSF be a plane for plane, squadron for squadron swap with
both Harrier and Hornet operators ?

Only for the ground based squadrons.

The carrier marines will fly Super Hornets.

The Marines have no intention whatsoever of flying Super Hornets. The
official goal is still to replace all the Hornets and Harriers with STOVL
JSFs (close to 1:1, I think). If they decide they can't fly STOVL F-35s
from carriers (a topic of considerable debate between the services right
now, I understand), they'll have to buy some of the CV version instead.

So that they can refuel the Navy's F35-Cs. ;-)

Make that F-35C. It matters where you put the hyphens.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)