Old November 11th 04, 01:11 AM
Doug \Woody\ and Erin Beal

On 11/10/04 3:25 PM, in article , "Tom
Cooper" wrote:

Woody,
topics are as follows:

- NAVOPINTCEN SUITLAND MD message 250021Z Jul 87: Request for Persian Gulf
Related Info
- NAVOPINTCEN SUITLAND MD message 102038Z Apr 88: Speartip 009-88 Persian
Gulf Fighter Developments
- NAVOPINTCEN SUITLAND MD message 152005Z Jun 88: IRIAF F-14 reaction to
CVBG F-14 Ops (this document was almost completely blotted out)
- SPEARTIP 014-90, IRAQ FIGHTER-INTERCEPTOR CAPABILITIES
- NAVOPINTCEN memo of 6 Jul 88: Iranian F-14 Air-to-Ground Bombing and ASM
Capability

For an excerpt from SUTITLAND MD message from April 1988 about air combats
involving F-14s please check my answer to Pechs' post two sub-threads
bellow.

I read it.

From 102038Z Apr 88, I gather that (a), the Intel bubba's don't want to
compromise sources and (b), they're goal is to characterize the
aggressiveness of the combatants--not report news.

As to the "ridiculous" statement, the key word that you quoted from the
message was: "DETECTED." The SPEAR document apparently contains very
little interpretation and analysis.

You state that the Iraqi pilot and the Iranian ace had a fight that occurred
"in full view" of Navy surface ships. What does that mean? Were USN crews
witnesses to the fight? If so, why did the Iraqi pilot spend so many days
in his raft?

On the 18 March 1988 battle, you again use the phrase "in full view" again.
Why would you think that they would see 5 AIM-54's? Why would you believe
"rumors" over the SPEAR message? Why do you suggest some sort of
conspiracy?

--Woody