Old November 12th 04, 04:01 PM
C.D.Damron

I don't think it is a law, but a military policy that foreign aircraft that
are permanently based in the US should wear US markings. I'm not sure if
German traiining units participated in Red Flag, but they normally wear US
markings.

With regards to Germany, at one time, post-war German law prevented
permanent basing of troops abroad. For a number of years, German training
was technically a lease-back program where the US "leased" German planes
flown by German pilots in training.

At least in the post-war period, there were some sensibilities to be
respected. Many veterans would not have been comfortable with planes
wearing the Iron Cross flying overhead.

"Pechs1" wrote in message
Chief- Ours or theirs? Foreign military aircraft based in the U.S. are
required to have U.S. markings.
BRBR

Don't think so. I flew in RedFlag with brit and german A/C and they were

marked
like normally.
P. C. Chisholm
CDR, USN(ret.)
Old Phart Phormer Phantom, Turkey, Viper, Scooter and Combat Buckeye

Phlyer