Old December 19th 04, 01:22 AM
Iwan Bogels

"Jake Donovan" schreef in bericht
news:223xd.4183$Qk5.3046@lakeread04...
More moons ago, Gator Chunning, after retiring from the Navy and heading

up
Lockheed's Navy Projects division told me no mods were done to the prop
pitch. The only mods done were to the brakes, they installed new anti

skid
brakes and a smaller nose gear. All external tanks were removed

The aircraft was taken directly out of the USMC stock, a KC130F, sent to
Lockheed for the mods. Then Lt., James Flately III was qualed in the
aircraft by Lockheed's chief test pilot, whose name escapes me right now.

There was a measured 40kt head wind over the bow during the trials. 21

full
unassisted landings and take offs were made before the end of the tests.

Flately was awarded a DFC.

All other stories about rocket assists, modified pitch, downward thrust

are
all fairy tails.

Jake

Hi Jake,

Thanks for explaining, but the original message had nothing to do with C-130
carrier landings. It was about a special project to liberate hostages in
Iran in 1980, by landing a C-130 on a soccer field in downtown Teheran. The
video is available at http://www.dappa.nl/crash.htm and as you will see it
has EVERYTHING to do with rocket assists and downward thrust. See for
yourself, it's an amazing video.

Nevertheless your project and 'mine' make me wonder how many other
undiscosed project have been around with the C-130.

Anyone ?

Cheers,
Iwan