Old September 16th 04, 10:54 AM
Dylan Smith

In article , Michael wrote:
As well as find out how difficult it is to make rules, and what people
in the club do.

This probably explains the lack of silly rules in the BAAC - a change to
the bylaws required a vote *by the whole membership*, not just the
board.
The other thing about the club is it didn't own the aircraft (and
therefore the initiation fee and membership dues were very low), it
leased them back (the owner set the dry rate and organized maintenance -
the club didn't skim a single penny off the owner's rate so it was
perfectly possible for an owner to make their plane pay, but our rates
still be $10/hr cheaper than the FBO on the field). Occasionally, owners
would have some stipulations about their aircraft, but generally these
were checkout requirements (such as the Bonanza owner wanted 5 hours in
type - additionally, the insurance required you have 10 hours in type
before taking passengers, and the owner was quite happy for you to go
from 5-10 hours solo).

Overall, I think this structure of club worked well. We only kicked one
member out in the 20 years the club has been around.

The whole 3000' runway is asinine whether it comes from an FBO or a
club, especially applied to planes like C172s which can be landed and
stopped *with no short field techniques at all* and without even using
the brakes in half that distance. Any newly minted PPL should be able to
land and stop on a 3000' runway in a C172 or Cherokee without using the
brakes. It's a good job that clubs etc. don't try that rule here as most
GA fields in the British Isles are grass and under 3000'!

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net