Old January 9th 04, 07:08 PM
Snowbird

(StellaStar) wrote in message ...

Horribly off-topic, but I know you experts will have this answer too: my
teenage boy spends his allowance on great fake swords that he just adores. I
hesitate to criticize the dreadful workmanship (handles and hilts tend to fall
off) because they're within his budget, but at least they're not chrome-plated.
He's gone through sandpaper and steel wool to polish them (hey, it keeps him
off the streets) and now is on a quest to find something called Naval Jelly.
Apparently it's for polishing metal to a very fine finish. Any ideas where I
can get him some?

No expert, but Naval Jelly is a rust remover. I made its acquaintance
when I was a highschooler restoring an old army foot locker as a trunk
I could take to college (hey, it kept me off the streets).

You can buy it at Big Home Repair Warehouse Inc, but for polishing
metal to a fine finish, how about getting him an inexpensive bench-grinder
from Harbor Freight and some polishing compounds of various flavors?

Failing that:
Motorcycle shops which cater to enthusiasts are a great place to find
esoteric but effective polishing compounds and advice about which ones
work best.

HTH -- is he into SCA or that sort of thing?

Sydney