Old November 4th 03, 06:27 PM
Roger Long

Especially when you consider the huge amount of wear an engine experiences
while cranking. A weak battery costs you big, big, bucks. So does not
keeping your ignition system tuned up so the engine lights right off.

We've found that just a couple hours of electric heat on the pan alone are
enough so oil temp comes up on taxi or in flight as fast or faster than in
the warm months. The engine doesn't seem to crank any harder for the
cylinders not being warm. Cowl plugs are essential though. Our engine
started in 3 - 4 blades every time last winter. This year, we have a cowl
blanket which should warm the cylinders a bit more.
--
Roger Long

So...do you want to lug around a tank of LP, mess with connecting a
heater to your engine and battery and then run down your battery, or
would you rather drain a little fuel into a generator, plug it in,
and await a warm cockpit and freshly-charged battery?

--kyler