Old December 1st 03, 10:11 PM
W9MV

Dear Chris:

Thanks for your post. I'll try to be brief in my answers:

"HOOK toggle switch so Pilot or Copilot position can use the phone."

Actually, the hook switch, when installed, will allow the copilot to make a
private phone call, or join in with the pilot. the pilot's "hook switch"
actually is the Com 3 mic pushbutton

"At the beginning of the long cross country COM3 (phone) upper button was
active and the mic button for COM3 was blinking. The intercom was not working
properly in ALL/CREW mode."

It appears that the PMA7000B is working properly, when you are in the telephone
mode, the intercom function between the pilot and copilot is deactivated.
However, the passengers are free to continue to communicate.

"The wife used the audio panel more than I did it seems. And she loved it. She
often went back and forth between CREW and and ISO to talk (yell, hehe) to the
kids. This is where I'll mention her suggestion: she'd like those little metal
switches to have something rubber or plastic on the ends. Sort of like
airliners have those little condom looking things on their landing light
switches, etc."

EXCELLENT suggestion! Let me see if I can get some slide on rubber covers. Do
you have a preference in color? White seems to be a standard.

"I guess the only thing I wasn't sure I liked was that whenever she'd go into
the ISO position, ENT1 would cut out for me."

Again, the PMA7000B is behaving correctly. We had more recommendations to have
the entertainment turn off when in ISO mode for the pilot than the other way
around.

"Volume levels. I had the outer knob way up, like 3 o'clock position. The
wife couldn't hear ENT1 as well as I could, but everything else fine."

This is clear evidence that the Bose headset is more efficient in using the
power from the intercom than your wife's headset. (Xmas is coming up, and I
just know she would LOVE to have an equivalent headset as her husband, no?)

"ENT1, while decent, had some noise coming through as well. A low buzzing
sound that would repeat over and over to the beat of my tail rotating beacon,
that kind of rhythm. But it had nothing to do with
the beacon or any lights, or the DME, as I'd turn things off to try to
figure out where it was coming from."

The 182, if I'm not mistaken, has its battery in the rear of the aircraft. The
engineers at Cessna felt that using the airframe for the ground return path
saved weight (no copper cable) and certainly aluminum is an excellent conductor
(ask all those home owners who wired their homes with aluminum in the '80's).

Anyway, one strong possibility is that the noise is coming from your charging
system, and that would be because the who airframe has the noise supperimposed
on it from the return charging current.

Are you using your cigarette ligther adapter to power your entertainment
device? If you are, USE BATTERIES, otherwise you will have ground loop noise
from the power source.

"The manual says in the ISO mode the pilot should hear ENT1 at a muted level, I
wasn't hearing it at all."

Again, sounds like it is working the way it is designed, you'll notice our mute
level is very low. Without the engine running sometime (preferably on the
ground) get your entertainment running, speak into the mic, and listen to the
mute level, it's way down.

"The bleed through of ENT2 and back passengers to the pilot position"

Now this is an anomoly, because the isolation of Ent 2 and passengers is even
greater than the mute level of Ent 1. There may be some wiring issue here. I'll
need to speak to your installer if this level is annoying.

"Question for the PSE rep, I'd like the PXE7300, but now seeing how ENT1 and
ENT2 work, would only the pilot/copilot be able to hear it?"

Yes, but only if you didn't hook the PXE7300 output to Ent 2 input.

"Same question for your DVD unit"

Actually, the PAV80 is different, it has two seperate outputs and does working
in a multifunction fashion. What I mean is that the crew could listen to say
your external music device (through the PAV80) while the kids could what their
favorite DVD. Or, maybe mom and dad want to play their favorite MP3 songs in
the PAV80, and the kids could plug in their video game into the PAV80 and use
the PAV80's display.

The PAV80 is an awesome, and probably is one of our biggest achievement (the
IntelliVox being another.)

Thanks for taking the time and letting me know about your setup, it is most
certainly one of the most high tech ones I have read about.

Let me know if I can be of any service.

Sincerely,
Mark Scheuer
PS Engineering, Inc.