Old December 31st 03, 09:03 PM
Roy Smith

In article ,
(John Galban) wrote:

I'm beginning to think that some baggage doors may not be as simple
as mine. Recalling my rental days, I seem to remember that some
planes have both a latch and a lock. My baggage door(and most of the
earlier Cherokees) has a single rotating locking/latching mechanism.
Turn the key and a little tab on the lock rotates into a slot on the
airframe.

Yup. My club has a 1967 (68?) Arrow which has the simple rotating tab
into a slot thingie. All our Archers (3 now, used to be 4) are of
somewhat newer vintage and have the multi-part, spring-loaded,
push-click-snap-lever gizmo.

The rotating tab thingie works just as well, and in fact is easier to
operate. Probably weighs a few grams less too :-) No clue why they
went to the more complex assembly in later models. Maybe it had more of
that "big airplane" feel to it?