Old April 20th 04, 05:56 PM
Bill Hale

Air Oil Separators like the Walker & BDS...

So I've thought that an interesting experiment would
be to arrange a can to catch the liquid coming out
of the separator... then go for a couple of flights
and see what was in the can.

On the Walker, one could modify it so the oil return drain
stuck up into the bottom of the unit a bit; then add
a separate drain at the very bottom, which would be for
manually draining water. That might decant the oil.

But the total amounts might overwhelm such a system.
I wonder how much actually goes thru there on an average
flight?

It also seems to me that the wet vacuum pump should exhaust
directly into the crankcase. That would provide a fresh
air douche. Somewhere near the front would be good.

As the famous chemist Cliff Hach mentioned awhile ago...
"Hell, cars have had positive crankcase ventilation since
1932!"

The water on the dipstick isn't a good thing. Cliff once
measured the PH and found that it was TWO!

Bill Hale