Old October 30th 04, 03:02 PM
Matt Whiting

Jim Burns wrote:
The pitot heat has failed on our Aztec. No heat, not even warm, no amperage
draw. Circuit breaker, switch, leads, and ground all check ok.

Now here's the strange part. We get correct voltage across the leads and we
get continuity across the terminals on the tube. No continuity from the
terminals to the tube itself, so I don't think the element is shorted out
against the tube.

Is this measured with the leads connected to the pitot tube terminals?
You have continuity across the terminals, but what is the element
resistance?

If there is continuity across the terminals, one would think that the
element is intact. If it's getting adequate voltage, why isn't it heating?

I don't know, but one possibility is that you have internal corrosion
that has greatly increased the resistance of the element such that there
isn't sufficient current flowing to heat up the element.

Matt