Old November 22nd 04, 03:36 PM
mindenpilot

"Nathan Young" wrote in message
On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 18:13:17 -0800, "mindenpilot"
wrote:

On the down side, even though the previous owner put about $6K into the
annual, I immediately had to fix some oil leaks as soon as I got it back.
I also got a spin-on oil filter adapter. Last week one of my KX-170Bs
broke. Other than that no major squawks.

What is wrong with the KX-170B ?

I had an internal gear break on mine. The result - the MHz digit
never lined up correctly with the frequency. Ie, you had to tune
127.50 to listen to 121.50.

The local avionics shop fixed it for $100. He also let me see the
'internals' while he was working on it. That radio is as much a
mechanical engineering project as an electrical one!

-Nathan

I haven't gotten it back yet, but the shop thinks that I have the exact same
problem.
I guess this is a pretty common mode of failure.

I guess I'm not surprised it was a mechanical problem, and not an electrical
one...
Just one electrical engineer's bias ;-)

Adam
N7966L