Old December 7th 04, 09:47 PM
Doodybutch

Chuck...

Hook up ground power (on the ground, engine stopped) and run the radios for
a couple of hours. This will IMMEDIATELY tell you if it's the defrost or
heat or just the radios.

DB

"Chuck" wrote in message
news
Hey Cherokee owners,

Has anyone run into a problem with the whole dash and all avionics
heating up???

Since I bought the plane this past summer, I thought all the heat
build up was due to our famous San Antonio summer weather. But I flew
into a cold front last night and the temp went down below 40F. Even
with it that cold -- the dash got uncomfortably hot after an hour and
a half flying.

The dash all around the center radio mounts, the radios themselves,
and the avionics stack in front of the co seat were so hot that it was
uncomfortable to put your fingers on it for more than a couple
seconds. I was under the hood at the time, so didn't take the time to
check the whole dash and didn't think to check on the pilot's side.
But the dash on the left side of the radio stack in the center was hot
too.

Has anyone run into this before? I've already checked the exhaust and
shrouds -- all OK. I'm going to spend some floor diving tomorrow to
make sure the heat and defrost vents behind the dash haven't come
loose. But they were OK a month ago when I was back there.

Thanks for any suggestions you guys can provide.

Chuck