Old February 11th 05, 07:17 PM
Mark Hansen

On 2/11/2005 11:01, Allen wrote:

"George Patterson" wrote in message

Allen wrote:

You may want to check with your mechanic about this also. I think the

proper
way to check torque of a bolt is to loosen it first and then re-torque.

Nope. Just buy a modern wrench, set it to the bottom end of the proper

torque
range, and try to tighten the bolt. If the wrench "clicks" without the

bolt
turning, you're good to go. If the bolt turns first, call that to the

attention
of your mechanic.

George Patterson
He who would distinguish what is true from what is false must have an
adequate understanding of truth and falsehood.

That will only tell you if the bolt is under-torqued. To make sure it is
torqued to a specific number it must be loosened first.

Additionally, I think the bolt can "stick" in place - which may
fool the torque wrench. Loosening the bolt before torquing it would
solve this problem as well.

Allen

--
Mark Hansen, PP-ASEL