Old August 7th 03, 08:38 PM
Steve Robertson

Hi Rob,

You can't go wrong with either one. They both are fine planes to learn in.

Yes, there are more rental C172s than Beeches out there. So what? If you learn
in a Sundowner, you aren't limited to only flying Sundowners. You can still go
out and rent a Cessna, or a Piper, or something else for that matter.

The biggest difference between the two is one has the wing on top, the other
has the wing on the bottom. The Cessna can take off and land in a shorter
distance and at a slower speed. The Sundowner handles crosswinds better. You
don't have to worry about switching fuel tanks or using auxilliary fuel pump in
the 172. The Sundowner has better visibility and cabin room. You have to use a
ladder or climb on the strut to look in the 172 gas tanks. You have to get on
hands and knees to check the wheels and brakes on the Beech.

You get the idea. I would say pick the one that seems to be available most
often so that you don't have to wait. Or the one that rents cheaper. Whatever
your thing is. Can't go wrong.

Best regards,

Steve Robertson
N4732J, 1967 Beechcraft Musketeer (Sundowner predecessor)

rbboydston wrote:

Hello,

I live in Georgia and am planning on starting flight school at Southeastern
in Macon. They offer the option of either learning in a Cessna 172 or a
Beechcraft Sundowner. Is there a better choice between the two? I only
plan on getting my private pilot rating for trips with the wife and two
kids. I have heard that the Cessna is easier to rent because there are a
lot of them out there. I would very much appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
Rob