Old October 8th 03, 01:20 AM
Dale DePriest

Sims wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to write a formula to compute flight headings.
If i use 2 lat/lon i can get a "true course" but due to magnetic variations
the true course is not really all that useful, (knowing that my true course
is 118deg will not tell me that i should fly 93 deg).

What i mean is if i go from A to B i can calculate the True course, ('tc')
but my actual heading varies a lot depending on my position along the
course.

Is there a reliable formula to calculate my actual heading at a certain
point along the course?

Many thanks in advance.

Sims

You mean your magnetic heading. You have your actual heading. You need
a table of magnetic variations and interprolate from the table based on
your location as there is no mathmatical model that will provide this
information reliably.

Dale
--
_ _ Dale DePriest