Old October 27th 03, 01:54 PM
Mxsmanic

Default Closed ATC center in SoCal?

Can someone here explain exactly what had to be closed or evacuated in
Southern California because of fires? The news talked about disruptions
of air traffic throughout the Pacific Southwest and a major ATC center
being put out of order, but no more detail that that. Which ATC center
was it, and where is it physically located?

Aren't ATC centers hardened or something so that they are relatively
protected against natural and unnatural problems? Heck, I'd expect them
to be built a lot like missile silos, so that they can continue to
operate under just about any conditions.

Can other centers take up the slack when this happens, or are certain
types of traffic simply impossible to manage if a given center goes off
the air?