Old October 27th 03, 03:56 PM
Mxsmanic

Ron Natalie writes:

SCT is one of the FAA trends to merge together a bunch of approach
controls which used to be located at the major airport towers. There
were 5 merged together here. The other major ones I know about
are in New York and the newly established one in DC.

Maybe the FAA should revisit that policy. Single nodes of failure
aren't always a good idea. I can understand it for ATC that is more or
less evenly dispersed over a large region, but I don't see that it's
such a good idea for ATC involving small areas like airports.
Logically, you'd want the latter very near the airport. If the airport
goes down, it doesn't matter if the ATC goes down--and if the airport is
still operating, than the ATC will probably be operating, too. But if
the two are very separated geographically, you end up with an airport
area with no ATC, which is a bad thing.

So who took over? Or did everything just stop?