Old November 4th 03, 03:21 AM
Jamie Rogers

GLPILOTSRV wrote:

I believe (and as I have no sources to quote, believe is the operative word
here), the change of ID to the ICAO format is mandated only when the AWOS is
disseminated in the form of a Metar.

Coatesville, PA (40N), which by the way this month has installed a new AWOS
machine, transmits the weather information on 126.25 and is not available via
FSS or any other weather briefing medium. (At least, not yet.)

My Jepp plates dated 3 MAR 2000 list an AWOS at Chester County G.O. Carlson [40N]
on 126.25. Does Jeppesen publish non-commissioned AWOS frequencies on instrument
charts? I would assume that a non-commissioned AWOS would include the word
"test" in its broadcast, but it seems odd that the plates would include a
non-commissionedb AWOS's frequency.

(Nearby Wings Field received a new identifier not long ago, KLOM. It was
previously known as N67. In addition to weather reporting, the storied airport's
new identifier coincided with the new runway extension (which also set a legal
precedent as an attempted legal attempt to block the runway improvement was
struck down).