Old November 20th 03, 05:24 AM
m. lamphier

"Marc" wrote in message news:nxhub.176207$275.567345@attbi_s53...

Thanks to everyone for their comments. Actually I was surprised to see
my own post, I had not completed it, and must have pushed the wrong
button, intending to save it as draft. Hope I don't do that while
flying.

I am still pouring over sectional charts plotting my route. My current
plan is to fly a direct line Boston - Harrisburg, PA - Charlotte, WV
-- Nashville (actually Murfreesboro). This will keep me to the west
of the Appalachia. On the return I will head due east to Roanoke and
then meander over to the coast for the return trip. I gather from
several people's comments that turbulance can be a problem when
overflying the Appalchia. I am looking at flying to Bristol/Tri-Cities
and then following I-81 NE to Roanoke to bring me over the mountains.
Any recommendations for this or alternate route?

I notice that my route from Harrisburg - Charleston brings me over a
section of West Virginia where there seems to be almost nothing. Not
exactly nothing, but almost nothing ... very few towns and almost no
airports in an area of about 2,500 square miles between Clarksburg, WV
(CKB) and Charleston, WV (CRW). One airport, Braxton Co (48I), in the
middle. It wasn't until I started flying until I realized there are
lots of very unpopulated areas of the country, even in the East.

-Marc