Old November 20th 03, 05:40 AM
Ditch

C-45 bird flew ok. Would fly on one engine after airborne an cleaned
up . Not any super performance of course. Max altitude on SE was
probably 5K or so (from memory).

I remember when I trained on the Beech-18 (E-18S...I think), the manual refered
to the installation of JATO pods to "assist in the event of an engine failure
or for short take-offs".
I wish we had them when I was taking off fully loaded with cargo over a high
population area. Fun fun fun...

Some are still flying today

There are quite a few still flying today. I can think of 5-6 cargo companies
off the top of my head that still use them and private ones are all over the
place.

-John
*You are nothing until you have flown a Douglas, Lockheed, Grumman or North
American*