Old November 26th 03, 02:25 AM
Tom S.

"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
hlink.net...
True but I would assume that they thought that they had given the subject
adequate consideration.

That would be a bad assumption.

It is arogant to believe that everyone else is a
fool and you are not.

That's true.

My fovorite ezample are those pilots who are
confident that they could handle an IMC gyro failure when the record shows
that many (most?) cannot.

And how many have actually practiced this situation frequently?

What people believe and what they are capable of are to different things.
For example, in a survey a few years back, a bunch of people were polled on
their driving ability. Almost all (like 95%) said "superior", even those
with extensive driving citations. When taken out on test tracks, it was even
worse; most could not handle even the most routine emergencies. Then, how
often have any of us ever gone back to a driving school aften getting our
license when we turned sixteen?

Mike
MU-2

"Peter Duniho" wrote in message
"Mike Rapoport" wrote in message
link.net...
Presumably all the pilots who had engine failures believed the same

thing.

It's safest to assume that, but I suspect that in reality, only some

small
subset even bothered to think hard enough about the issues to believe

the
same thing.