Old January 7th 04, 12:20 AM
Dave S

They do that so you have a clue approximately where something is in
relation to others...

Ask a fireman, a medic, a policeman or a pizza boy what Im talking
about.. those 4 houses may be in the 125xx block of Numbnuts avenue..
but the 12500 block will tend to have the same or nearby cross streets
within neighborhoods (or even entire towns)... sometimes, by numbers you
can even tell how far from the corner the house is (and the corner may
be where the fire plug is..)..

Its not perfect, but it helps those of us who have to find you in a hurry..

John T wrote:

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message

I want to know how gate 4 suddenly became gate 317. Why not gate 9
3/4?

I wondered about that, myself. But then again, I've always wondered by the
post office sets up 5-digit house numbers on streets with 4 homes.