Old February 21st 04, 09:06 PM
William W. Plummer

"Casey Wilson" wrote in message
news

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

So how does the military propose to fly these pilotless aircraft among
civil aircraft without causing a safety hazard?

NEXT ON NOVA: "SPIES THAT FLY"

It's already being done. Fly to the west of Apple Valley (APV),
California, and you are likely to hear Joshua Approach telling you:
"Unmanned drone manuevering in the vicinity of El Mirage lakebed, use
caution."
The scary ones sound like: "Archer umpty-ump, traffice alert!
Ten-o'clock, three miles, closing, altitude 5,500, unmanned drone."
These, by the way, are NOT in RSA or MOA and are, technically, NOT
military.

Note that an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle may be remotely piloted. In fact this
distinction is a loophole in the SALT II treaty that forbids dropping bombs
and launching cruise missiles from unmanned vehicles -- we do it using
remotely piloted vehicles.

I chatted with a Marine UAV pilot about 2 years ago. He explained that a
remotely piloted vehicle must be on an IFR flight plan and he, the remote
pilot, must be an instrument rated pilot. I presume he must be in contact
with ATC in the area where the vehicle is flying. I have no idea how they
can be "stealthy" in that situation.