Old March 6th 04, 06:13 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"Michael 182" wrote in message
news:%p02c.118319$Xp.530159@attbi_s54...

"Tom Sixkiller" wrote in message

"Michael 182" wrote in message
news:WtU1c.46160$PR3.957908@attbi_s03...

There is nothing in the definition of altruism that includes the word

or
concept of duty.

You might look up Augusta Comte, the guy who coined the phrase. Altruism
_IS_ DUTY.

I'm just responding to this small section as an example - I'm too bored of
this thread to do more.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
al·tru·ism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ltr-zm)
n.
1. Unselfish concern for the welfare of others; selflessness.
2. Zoology. Instinctive cooperative behavior that is detrimental to the
individual but contributes to the survival of the species.

Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
\Al"tru*ism\, n. [F. altruisme (a word of Comte's), It. altrui of or to
others, fr. L. alter another.] Regard for others, both natural and moral;
devotion to the interests of others; brotherly kindness; -- opposed to
egoism or selfishness. [Recent] --J. S. Mill.

Since the "Self" and the "mind" are essentially the same, your seem to find
honor in mindlessness.

"Thus state of mind, which subordinates the interests of the

ego to the conservation of the community, is really the first

premise for every truly human culture..." Adolf Hitler, _Mein_Kampf_

Maybe thiswill give you some appreciation of why tyranny in the 20th century
was so brutal.

I know you will find some reason to believe the dictionaries are wrong,

but
when you decide words have a different meaning than the dictionaries'
definition it makes it pretty hard for anyone to communicate.

As said, I'd rather refer to the person who coined the word that a
dictionary. It's the intellectually honest thing to do. Nonetheless, as
shown above, you demonstrate better than I ever could exactly where the
liberals stand.

Now, let me conclude by saying if your want to accept responsibility for
someone you have no control over (I expect you didn't run your business that
way), be my guest, that's your right (not a "privilege"), but don't expect
everyone else to engage your own guilt trip -- for that I suggest you confer
with your parents if they are still with us.

Tom
--
"Don’t bother to examine a folly—
ask yourself only what it accomplishes. . . .