Old April 8th 04, 11:31 PM
Peter Duniho

"Chris Gumm" wrote in message
I hope I'm not the only one guilty of this, but do any of you that rent
aircraft ever look at the logs?

Not regularly, no. I have on occasion, but usually just in preparation for
a checkride (for which I've always reviewed the logs), or with an FBO I've
never rented from before. If I've gotten to know the FBO and they appear to
have their maintenance department in order, the dispatch forms generally
give me what I need to know to be assured the aircraft is airworthy, both
paperwise and physically.

Of course, there's a possibility the aircraft might be unairworthy, and you
might be called out on it by the FAA. But I've never heard of a case where
the FAA went aggressively after a pilot who flew a rental that turned out to
not have its logbooks in order. Not saying it's never happened, but it
doesn't seem like a common occurrance. I'd be more concerned just with
respect to how well the FBO keeps up with the maintenance; if they do, then
the logbooks are likely to be fine, and if they don't, the logbooks are the
least of your worries (other than them being a way for you to note that the
maintenance isn't being done properly).

Pete