Old April 9th 04, 02:02 AM
JJS

For some reason I'm apparently not getting near all the messages in
this thread from my server so please forgive me if any of you
commented good or bad and think I am ignoring you.

Mary, we did take pictures, but me being a total amateur with poor
equipment, they did not turn out very well. The photo's that do
plainly show the wagon ruts have flaws such as window glare. The
Sedona and Grand Canyon pictures are better but still leave much to be
desired. I subscribe to Smithsonian or Air & Space. That would be
neat to be published there!

At first I was a bit baffled at the suggestion to shop the story to
non aviation publications, but it didn't take much thinking to see the
swell logic in that. Less chance of getting published perhaps, but it
might give non pilots a reason to appreciate our calling if it did get
published. I don't know about the parts of the story related to
engine malfunctions and high density altitude take-offs, though. Are
they more ammunition for the "those pilot guys are insane" people?
Every airplane story has high adventure or a near miss to add drama.
But that is also one reason many non-aviation oriented people are
afraid of airplanes. They seem to believe it is a common occurrence
and may happen on every flight.

You know, if each one of us that participates in, or lurks in
rec.aviation.* wrote a short piece about a memorable flight and we all
tried to get them published, at least one or two might get lucky.
Lord knows those of us in the aviation world need all the good press
we can get.

Hey, here is an idea: Jay Honeck started awhile back with a few of
his entertaining pieces. I challenge the rest of you to write just
one tale, fact or fiction. Even a trip around the patch or a hundred
dollar hamburger run. Yes, even you students and lurkers out there.
One caveat though, you must post here first! If nothing else we will
be kept entertained for awhile. Tag you are It!

"Mary Shafer" wrote in message
On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 09:40:53 -0700, AES/newspost
wrote:

But I'm encouraged by the othersupportive responses to my

original
suggestion, especially the suggestion that you don't just bury

this in
some aviation hobbyist magazine. It could do a lot for GA if it

were
read more widely, e.g. a New Yorker like audience.

Smithsonian or Air&Space, but you'll have to do it again to get
photos.

It's a very Smithsonian article.

Mary