Old May 23rd 04, 04:42 PM
Richard Riley

On Sun, 23 May 2004 11:21:43 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

:
:"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
: wrote:
:
: Oh yes that's for sure (and big fat tires). Like I said, for now, I
: just want to focus on the wing. Do you know if I'm going to save some
: weight with the conversion?
:
: Jizhong
:
: A better starting question might be "do you know what you are doing"?
:
:I didn't want to ask that first, but now that you did....
:
:Conventional wisdom says that adding any extra systems, such as slats, will
:not save any weight, but rather, add weight. You were talking about taking
:away some substantial weight, right? Where is that coming from?

Yep.
:
oubtful that the airfoil would be the right one to take full advantage of
:slats, either. It is also likely even more weight would have to be added to
:the wing structure to handle the extra lift, if you got the slats to work.
:
:You dismissed the getting around the FAA, like it was of little consequence.
:It is not, and might be the greatest hurdle to jump.

If he's not doing it in the US, FAA would be of no consequence.
Though in most areas, the local authority makes dealing with FAA look
like a walk in the park.

I'd think it'd be better to look at STOL wing tips and vortex
generators. Or look at one of these
http://tinyurl.com/37tws