Old August 13th 04, 02:00 PM
John Bell

Thanks for the responses.

I was familiar with the EGPWS enhancement. This looks like a nice system.
However, it is a $15,000 upgrade which is only available if you have the
Honeywell EGPWS that can be upgraded.

I was aware that it was possible to use Jepp software with a Tablet PC and
GPS to get a full airport diagram with aircraft position. This is very
nice.

The GPS map displays that I am familiar with do not have anything more than
an runway diagram. This is not enough to tell you which taxiway that you
are on. But it is enough to help orient yourself on the airport at a quick
glance. I suppose it would be possible to be distracted by the GPS and go
"heads down" too much. However, all that is required operationally is a
couple of quick presses of the zoom button.

My point is just that seeing where you are on a simple runway diagram is
very helpful for situational awareness and many pilots have this capability
with their present equipment whether it is panel mounted or a portable GPS,
but they are not exploiting it. Maybe many pilots are doing this, but the
aviation press nor the FAA ever mentions using the GPS map display on the
ground for situational awareness.

Thanks again,

John Bell
www.cockpitgps.com