Old August 29th 04, 12:56 AM
chris priest

Default knowledge test results coming back to haunt you

This has been on my mind for a long time now. I am planning on pursuing
a career in aviation, whether that be in the military, corporate,
regional, the airlines, or possibly as just an instructor. Now when it
comes down to hiring, will the results of my private, instrument,
commercial etc. knowledge tests come in as a factor?

My dad who is at about the same place as me in training (he is only
doing it as recreation) keeps drilling to me that it is EXTREMELY
important to do as best as I can on these tests, because he is sure that
if I get a bad grade, then it will hurt me in the long run when it comes
time to get a job. Of course, when he took his instrument test two weeks
or so ago, he got a 100%. But then again he probably spent 15 hours a
week for 4 or 5 months studying (mildly exagerated), which I am just not
willing to do as I actually have a life. I personally haven't taken the
instrument test yet, but i got a 72 on my PAR, and when my dad found out
about my score, he (typically) threw a fit.

I personally feel that if the test results indeed do effect me in the
long run, it shouldn't. Even though I got a barely passing grade on my
private knowledge test, that doesn't;t necessarily mean I only know 72%
there needs to know about being a private pilot. If I was to retake the
test now, I guarantee I'd get at least a 90. That is to say I learned a
lot during my training, as I *did* afterall pass my checkride.

So does it really matter, or is my dad just being a over-achiever?