Old August 31st 04, 05:17 PM
Andrew Gideon

BillC85 wrote:

Just my two cents.

Sigh too true. But it wasn't always this way!

Once upon a time, a "political conservative" would have been apalled at the
notions expounded by religious zealots. Today, these terms of come to be
hopelessly intertwined. Annoying.

Similarly, once upon a time "democracy" was a liberal idea. Today,
"liberal" appears to carry all sorts of unrelated baggage.

What we really need are better labels.

I take the evolution of "conservative" more personally, I suppose, because I
used to be a "conservative". But, believing as I do in small government,
free trade, separation of church and state, states' rights, personal
responsibility, etc. has left me label-free (and abandoned by the major
party that claims to represent me).

- Andrew