Old September 6th 04, 02:46 PM

I do not agree with most of the posters here. The FAA develops rules
based upon the pertinent facts and circumstances which are then
subjected to extensive review; they do not act capriciously. If one is
taking some med that is prohibited there may be some side effect which
may impair judgement or other function and that is why it is
prohibited. Someone mentioned Prossac as being dispensed like candy.
This is true. Prossac, is now a generic (read cheap) and is being
dispensed as a palliative for every possible situation (applicable or
not), freely. Prossac has side effects (suicidal tendencies for one)
that were "under reported" for a long time while it was still under
patent. Other meds may be the same.

Some over the counter meds are also hazardous and I believe prohibited.
Benadryl is a good example of this. If one is taking this med for
allegies on a regular basis one should not be flying because in
sustained doses it is a depressant and will certainly impair judgement
(I speak from personal expierience here).

Finally, I think the sport pilot rules eliminating the need for a
medical exam are not wise and will prove to be a taint on GA. People
who should not be flying solo for medical should not be flying solo.
In my opinion those folks should join a club and buddy up with an
unrestricted pilot or find a CFI(paid) to fly with.

Those are my 2cents.

Paul

pjbphd wrote:
I'm taking flight lessons and was hoping to get my private pilot

certificate
not too far down the line. Today I went in for my medical and was

told by
the examiner I have a couple problems. Although I've been

asymptomatic for
some time I'm on a medication that is not allowed by the FAA. When I

went
to the physician who prescribed the medication (a non-pilot) he was

shocked
that the FAA does not allow pilots to take it. Unfortunately he does

not
recommend I discontinue its use. Nor is there an alternative

medication
acceptable to the FAA.

Do I have any recourse other than discontinuing the medication even

though
my physician recommends I stay on it or accepting that I won't be

able to
fly. In other words is there any kind of appeal process provided I

can get
the prescribing physician to state the medication does not impair my
abilities? This is particularly frustrating in that had I known the

med was
not allowed, starting YESTERDAY I could have gone for a recreational

pilots
certificate without a medical review, but now it's too late.

Any help will be appreciated.

--
Too many spams have forced me to alter my email. If you wish to

email me
directly please send messages to pjbphd @ cox dot net