Old July 2nd 04, 04:59 AM
Morgans

"pacplyer" wrote

Detachable 200' U-2 type Glider Wings? ;-) Well U-2's fly at low TAS
speeds up there don't they? Hence my detachable 200 ft glider wing
idea. Let's see if I understand Tim Ward's logic in getting the
vehicle to 100,000 ft. I might be wrong, but isn't the purpose of
this to just get the vehicle out of the "Max Q" area of the
atmosphere? Building up to "Max Q" is were space vehicles burn most
of their propellant from the first stage isn't it? Do we really care
what speed it's at as long as we can initiate Orbiter burn sequence up
high? (I agree, high altitude AND high speed would be better.)

pac "push em till they come apart" plyer

A while back in this thread, it was kicked around, about where the tether
should be attached to the tow plane. I think what I am about to say has not
been kicked about, but who knows; so much has been kicked about! g

How about taking off with the orbiter on the 747's back, a-la shuttle
transporting? When the duo is at altitude, the tether could start to reel
out, with the orbiter pulling it out. This would do two things; less drag
(no tether) while getting to altitude, and secondly, the wings on the
orbiter could be designed to work best _at altitude_.
--
Jim in NC

---