Old October 4th 04, 01:52 AM
Jay Honeck

Thanks. As an adult, if I join do I need to wear the uniform? I
currently wear a uniform as a Scout leader but the CAP uniforms look
too much like military. My father was a Naval officer so I wouldn't
want to give the impression that I was in the military.

My son and I joined CAP about four months ago. Our composite (meaning it
has both senior and cadet members) squadron is quite new, being less than
one year old. Thus, we have sort of gotten in on the "ground floor" with
this squadron -- meaning that we get to do a LOT more work than we bargained
for at the start!

Even though I have yet to receive my "commission" as a lieutenant (which all
experienced pilots receive), I have been made the squadron's "Aerospace
Officer." This, of course, is because I am the first (and, thus far,
only!) pilot in the squadron. (It seems that all the CAP pilots in the area
prefer to go to the Cedar Rapids squadron, 25 miles north of us, where kids
are not allowed.)

As such, I will be conducting classes in basic aviation for the squadron.
I'm holding our next meeting at my hangar, where the kids will get some
detailed, hand's-on experience with our airplane. Later this month, I'm
taking them on a tower tour up on Cedar Rapids. And later still, I will let
my grizzled old A&P show the cadets an airplane that's all torn down for
maintenance.

So far, I have been quite pleased with the experience. My son is 14, and
had been in Boy Scouts since age 7. Scouting was a good experience, but had
recently devolved into more and more chaotic meetings and camping trips,
with little discipline and a lot more screwing around than learning. Thus,
it was actually Joey who suggested CAP, after having seen them in Oshkosh
every summer directing airplanes.

CAP discipline is military without being overbearing, and my son took to it
right away. The uniforms -- BDUs (Battle Dress Uniforms, or combat
fatigues) and Corporate (basically a sport coat and dress slacks with CAP
insignia and rank) feel a little goofy at first, but one gets used to them.
Although I own a flight suit (which I bought on Ebay for knocking around the
hangar, changing oil, etc.) I have not been "flight certified" yet by CAP,
so haven't had a chance to wear it "for real."

Joey has gone on several CAP encampments, learned how to use a radio
direction finder, and gone for glider orientation flights. He is now
Emergency Services certified, and seems to be learning a lot and having a
good time -- which is, after all, the whole reason we joined. (I have very
little time to devote to CAP, since I work every weekend at the inn.
Luckily, the squadron commanders and other senior members have been more
than helpful with transportation, etc.)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA