Old November 22nd 04, 12:33 AM
Bob Gardner

The only reason for pushing the prop up is in case of a go-around. Let's say
you are on approach to a 10,000 foot runway and there are no airplanes in
the runup areas. Why prepare for a go-around at the expense of making a lot
of unnecessary noise? Approaching a 3000 foot strip, with a plane at the
hold line and a kid on a bicycle riding toward the runway...sure, push the
prop up. Don't do anything without a reason. "My instructor told me to" is
not a reason.

Bob Gardner

"Mitty" wrote in message
I've been taught to set the prop to high RPM on final, but I don't like
this very much because then, when I run my checklist for the first time on
downwind, I have to leave one item "open."

So what's wrong with doing it on downwind? (This in a Cherokee 6 or and
Arrow) It seems to work fine, does not disarrange the engine, etc. I
suppose there is some small noise increase, but hardly much.

So (1) is everyone taught to do it on final? (2) Why? (3) What's wrong
with doing it on downwind?

TIA