Old August 13th 03, 10:10 PM
Stefan

"F.L. Whiteley" wrote:

"Mark James Boyd" wrote in message

Some gliders also say "cloud flying permitted" in
the POH. I'd consider it a no-no, but I suppose
a very rich person could install the part 91 required
equipment to make a glider IFR.

Cloud flying is forbidden in the USA, however, it's allowed in many
European countries. The procedures vary from country to country.

Having flown in clouds in the UK in both thermal and wave, I found it both
an interesting and exciting aspect of soaring. FWIW, when the UK pilots fly
comps on the Continent, they have to remove their Bohli compasses, in
addition to any horizon and T/S.

In contests, cloud flying is generally forbidden. To enforce this, the
horizon and the needle (but not the compass) must be removed or covered
and sealed. The reason is that in contests, pilots would routinely
violate separation rules, resulting in midairs.

Stefan