Old November 19th 03, 10:07 AM
Robert Ehrlich

Bob Whelan wrote:
IMHO, about the only situation I can envision where a flaps-only ship IS
worse than a spoilers-only one is that of getting low and slow on the
approach. Is there a spoilers-only driver alive who doesn't take some
comfort in the thought s/he can slam the spoilers shut in that situation and
not distinctly improve things in the near-term future? Get yourself in that
situation in a flaps-only ship and you're essentially out of options. The
GOOD news is that you're much more likely to get low and slow in a ship
having weak landing aids...generally not a problem in gliders having _only_
large deflection flaps as landing aids.

Except for the presence of the runway instead of unlandable terrain below
the glider, this is exactly the situation of my question, and so the answer,
as I suspected, is that you are out of options.