Old December 24th 03, 12:49 PM
Dave Martin

At 12:42 24 December 2003, Chris Nicholas wrote:
And problem 4, which explains why I don't agree that
my club should do
trials: we would have to pioneer modifications to
the pay-on pulleys,
possibly the scroll gear that ensures even winding
onto the drum, and
possibly the guillotines, at considerable trouble and
expense with no
certainty that it would be successful. All that is
on top of the expense
of at least one drum of the new cable. Having worked
for years to
develop know-how and a system that ain't broke, with
low cost per launch
and almost no cable breaks, I see no reason to try
to fix it. We have
better uses for our resources.

My fears about the redevelopment costs come from having
heard that the
fibre cable can burn if it rubs. Knowing that our
pulleys are heavy,
need considerable pressure to accelerate them, and
are deeply scored
from steel cable use, I doubt if it is worth the cost
and effort.

Chris N.

Chris

I accept all your arguments apart from the last line,
if we never try we will never know!

Dave