Old January 5th 04, 12:34 AM
BTIZ

CG vs Nose hooks.. the Nose hook will help pull the glider to center "some".. not much early in the run.. or resist a tendency to pull towards a dropped wing..

A dropped wing will create more drag on grass or gravel than on pavement.. a dropped "draggy" wing will cause more deviation from center with a CG hook. Large moment arm with no counter resistance. Consider a "crack the whip" effect like when water skiing.

As for the "tow pilots fault".. SOMETIMES.. a quick "Burst" application of power will create a spiraling propwash effect that as a tendency to drop a wing.. as opposed to a smooth increase in power.. where wing runner runs farther.. and slower for your ailerons to become effective.

Does not take much "tail wind" effect to decrease the effectiveness of controls.. a new owner of a Speed Astir learned that even 3knts was enough to make his rudder ineffective in the early stages of the take off.

A "loss of control" on takeoff resulting from a dropped wing and CG hook was evident in the launching accident at the Nationals a couple of summers ago at Tonopah NV. Wing heavy with water was dropped as power applied, down wing pulled the glider well off the runway where the wing then struck an airport maint worker.

Some gliders only have the CG hook, some only the nose.. and some both.. we mostly use the nose hook for the Grob 103, easier for the ground crew to get to. But we require those checking out in the LS-4 to have at least 3 rides with the Grob 103 (w/CFIG) using the CG hook.

BT
"Ted Wagner" wrote in message newsI1Kb.17587$7D3.9225@fed1read02...
A few seconds into take-off roll today in a Pilatus B-4, while applying left stick to correct for a dipping right wing, the right wing suddenly dipped all the way into the ground. The glider lurched to the right, and a second or two later popped up into the air, a good 20 feet up and 30 or more feet out to the side. By that time I had full left rudder in addition to full left aileron, so the glider recovered rather quickly, and I was able to bring it to normal take-off position right about the time the tow plane started to climb. I was amazed he had maintained his heading directly down the runway. The winds were light and variable. It was my ninth flight on the B-4.

After landing, the tow pilot apologized, saying it was his fault -- something about the wake turbulence. But I'm still puzzled about what, if anything, he did wrong; it looked like a completely normally take-off roll to me.

I had thought that maybe a sudden tail wind had reversed the effective correction of my aileron deflection during take-off, causing the right wing to dip harder instead of leveling off. Does this make sense to anyone with more experience on an aircraft like the B-4?

Also, I'm curious to know how much the CG hook location on the B-4 contributed to the squirrelly sequence of events after the right wingtip hit the ground. How many 15+ meter gliders have CG-only hooks? Are such exciting events more commonplace with CG hooks?

Other than the wobbly tows, I'm loving the B-4, it's the first 15-meter single-seater ship I've flown, and the first with retractable gear...

~tw