Old January 23rd 04, 09:09 PM
Robin Birch

In message , Bob Salvo
writes
Do
we really want to teach full blown spins? Isn't spin entry and immediate
recovery, all we should be doing

Exactly!
Bob

Well yes, and no. I think that the problem a lot of people have is that
they are taught spinning in simple benign aeroplanes that you have to
TELL to spin and come out with no encouragement.

Whilst this is good for the basics I truly believe that train and train
and train to do the harder stuff in aeroplanes (with appropriate
guidance and instructors) that have the capability to bite is the only
way to improve peoples' capabilities to the stage that they can handle
bad situations.

Too many people think they can deal with nasty situations because they
learnt (for instance) spinning in a K13 or 150 or similar. Several
years ago we had a group of power pilots, of the normal sport aviation
type - nothing extreme, turn up for some trial flights in gliders.
Several of them asked to be shown some spins and a suitable instructor
took them round. They were totally disorientated and didn't know what
to do. They had gone through all of the current training at the time
and as far as we know were good pilots.

The person in this thread who said that the training itself may be the
issue rather than doing training is, I believe, right. The old adage
"train hard fight easy" is true just about everywhere, the point is
"train hard"

As to the statement above. Yes, as soon as you know you are in a spin,
get out of it, if you can. However, learning all the other stuff
properly can only help.

Cheers

Robin

A very low hours pilot who has had enough shocks to realise how much he
has to learn.
--
Robin Birch