Old January 24th 04, 07:28 PM
Jack

On 1/24/04 9:13 AM, in article
et, "Jim Newton"
wrote:

I would like like comment on whether it is a good idea to use a Continental
powered C182 as a tow ship that would be mainly used to tow the Schweizer
2-33 at sea level airports. I content that the tow speed would not be
comfortable for a 2-33 and that overheating of the continental engine would
be a problem in the summer. I'd like to convince those who might make the
decision to only use our Cessna 172, 180hp Lycoming conversion. I have no
experience with a 182 as a tug.

When the alternative is an equivalent or better wing, 50 more HP, constant
speed prop, and a relatively few more pounds of empty weight, why even
consider the 172?

Google search returns zero hits on "Cessna 172 tow plane", a half dozen hits
on "Cessna 182 tow plane", and 7 pages of URLs on "Pawnee tow plane". Take
the hint.

You can tow with a lot of low power airplanes, but you can't tow safely some
of the heavier gliders off the average strip in the summer with a low power
tow plane. Those gliders which can be safely towed with less power will
still take a long time to get to release altitude. If you have a significant
volume of launches to do in order to catch the best of a summer's day
soaring, use a 182 or a Pawnee 235, even at sea level.

If you want the safest operation in glider-filled airspace, get a Pawnee or
other converted ag plane that allows you reasonably good visibility from the
cockpit. When you are climbing and/or turning in the same airspace with
gliders, few aircraft below you or outside your turn will present much of a
hazard. The ones which do present a hazard are the hardest to see in a high
wing airplane.

-------
Jack
-------