Old January 27th 04, 09:59 AM
Michel Talon

Arnold Pieper wrote:

Therefore, if you're maintaining the correct Speed in the traffic pattern,
you can (and SHOULD) bank the glider as appropriate for the turn. ALWAYS.
There is no exception.

A glider will not Stall/Spin from a coordinated turn with the proper speed.

It will do so always from an uncoordinated turn, usually with the Wings
close to level in a skidding turn and the stick aft.
Remember what I said about Wings level and the stick full aft.

How true! I have NEVER spun unintentionally in many years of practising
gliding doing that. Learning how to recover from spin will not save a
single life when 99% of accidents are close to the ground, either
landing or ridge flying. Learning to fly perfectly coordinated in ALL
circumstances will save lifes. Learning to keep speed and not stupidly
thermalling at slower speed than necessary will both increase climb rate
and save lifes. I can unfortunately say that i have seen instructors
learning to fly both too slow and with the rudder inside the turn,
on a ridge. This is criminal. The argument was that the aileron produces
more drag, that inverse effects suffice to bank the glider and other
bull****. I always wondered how the instructor didn't kill himself.
When i became more proficient, i discovered i could exploit small lift
exactly as efficiently flying a little faster and with correct banking
of the glider than he was doing with these dangerous techniques.

--

Michel TALON