Old January 29th 04, 08:42 PM
Eric Greenwell

Todd Pattist wrote:
A skidding turn, as you described is the opposite of a
slipping turn. The student needs to be taught the
difference. If he is doing a slipping turn, the yaw string
will be out of the turn, if he's skidding it will be inside
the turn.

A+ for theory, D- for application...so I only teach
the kind of slips where both wings have the same airspeed...

I find that very odd. The slipping turn is a highly useful
maneuver.

Refresh my memory, which doesn't seem to include this. Under what
circumstances and glider types would this be true? If I'm too high, I
adjust the pattern or open the airbrakes. I will slip on final for
crosswind compensation, but why would I want make slipping turns in the
pattern or elswhere?

--
-----
change "netto" to "net" to email me directly

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA