Old February 9th 04, 03:02 PM
Wallace Berry

In article ,
"Marry Daniel or David Grah" wrote:

No problems for me when my 301 spun.

David Grah
Bishop California

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
news:5gdVb.193983$Rc4.1613691@attbi_s54...
Given all the threads on spins lately, I would like to know about 201 and
301 spins. I have flown both (3 flights) and have not "tickled the tiger".
They both required more then average attention to coordination. Shall I
assume the spin readily, and do anything peculiar? Asssume CG in mid

range.
Thanks

--
Hartley Falbaum

301's are placarded against spins, I think due to the ineffective
divebrakes.

I've had two 301's. Both would stall and spin if asked to. Flap position
makes a big difference in stall characteristics. Flaps full up
(negative) and it stall like a Grob twin. Full back stick, shaking like
hell, ailerons still effective. Flaps in thermalling position and it
stalls fairly abruptly albeit with fair warning. Spin entry is normal,
the nose goes pretty much straight down. Rotation rate is fairly fast.
If you hold the stick back in the spin, the rudder will be completely
ineffective and feels like it is disconnected. Stick forward and the
rudder becomes effective. Recovery is then no different than a 1-26
(except for the acceleration ; ).

I once had an interesting experience recovering from a spin in a 301.
Upon stopping the rotation, I came back on the stick a little too soon.
I got an accelerated stall and the glider made another turn very fast.
Pretty much like a snap roll going straight down. Got my attention.